An Encounter with Death

When Death entered the room that long ago night,
I choked on my wine at the very sight.
Composing myself in the blink of an eye
I studied him closely as he watched you die.
He stood tall and gaunt with the palest of skin,
And tired faded eyes the color of tin.
As you knelt on the floor your time running out
I dared to quickly glance about.
Not a soul took notice of this ancient reaper
As his long boney hand dug into you deeper,
Grasping your soul in its tight gnarled grasp
And yanking it out with the sound of your last dieing gasp.
My fear now gone and feeling much bolder
I walked up behind and placed my hand on his shoulder.
Cold to the touch and as smooth as old leather,
My nose caught the scent of must and wet weather.
Your soul still in hand drooping flimsy and light,
He turned his weary gaze upon me that night.
He looked in my eyes and deep into my soul,
But I felt no fear as of myself I lost all control.
Frozen immobile under his penetrating gaze I stood,
And felt of him fully and understood.
Then with a slight grin, a rather ghastly sight
He turned from me quickly and swiftly took flight.
My eyes slowly lowered to your cold lifeless shell,
And I silently wondered where you’d end up, heaven or hell?
I knelt by your side and placed a last kiss on your cheek,
And then I went home worn out, tired and weak.
That long ago night when suddenly death did appear
I keep forever in my heart, a memory dear.

GloriaGypsy©2009 all rights reserved

0 comments: